Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It's A Book - By Lane Smith

A friend of mine received this book for Christmas and I thought it was pretty hilarious. However, it made me think about how I balance my love for books and my love for electronics and computers.

I love reading and I love how a book feels in my hands. I love holding them and I even don't mind the room they take up in my backback or bags when I travel. In fact, the weight of a good book in my backpack is almost reassuring. It gives me something to do when I'm bored, when I'm avoiding having to make idle chit chat with people, when I'm feeling down there's nothing like having a good book to curl up with.

However, it's also interesting to see how many electronic devices are available now designed to "read" books on. Books have never been more accessible and available for people. It always surprises people when I tell them I don't own a Kindle (and I don't plan on owning one anytime soon) and that I'm dead set against downloading eBooks on my iPad. I know, I know. I could approach it from a "eBooks are more environmentally friendly approach" and all that. However, many summer days of mine were spent in the local library and I've had countless days sitting on the couch relaxing and turning the pages of a book and now that I'm an adult I long for enough time to sit and read. I just cannot bring myself to abandon the feel and weight of my books to opt for electronic print.

This past weekend at ASTE one of the speakers emphasized the importance of being able to "unplug". His message was simple....take a few moments each day to "unplug" from the matrix and to step away from all your devices, computers and cell phones. I felt like that was the most powerful message of the entire weekend. Take some time to "unplug" and walk away and be OK being unconnected for just a few moments every day.

Anyway, I'm sort of rambling because I'm actually stealth blogging right now. I'd like to think that no one actually sees my blog window up but I'm sure that every one in the room sees what I'm doing!

I want to get my random thoughts about this video up before I forget what I want to say!


4 comments:

Mom said...

Thanks Erin, I wish more people could see and read this. Love ya

Anonymous said...

Interesting thoughts. I suppose there is a time and a place to unplug isn't there? For example halfway through a training :-)

Anonymous said...

This couldn't be more true! And the idea of getting some time to sit down and flip through a book with two wild little girls running around is even harder.
Sometimes we have to resort to "bathroom" reading time. I'll take what I can get!
Great post Erin!!!!
HK

Emily Vanderpool said...

Confession: I sometimes read books on my iPad in the bathroom---hahahaha...